How to Sell Your House Quickly
With all the bad news about the real estate market, many sellers want to know the secret to selling their homes quickly. Unfortunately, there is no magic potion that guarantees 100 percent success, but there are certain factors that affect how quickly and for how much your home sells. If you need help implementing any of these, just give the Lise Howe Team a call.
1. Price: Price is the leading factor in whether or not a home sells. Your property has to be priced just below the competition to get offers. The market is not what it once was. You must value your home as today’s buyers value it – not as it was yesterday, last month, or last year. Whether it is a first time home buyer for a condo in Logan Circle or a luxury homebuyer in Great Falls, they are going to be savvy buyers!
2. Location: Location is still important. A home on a busy street or across from the well used train tracks is less desirable than one that backs up to green space. If your home is next to a gas station, then your price needs to offset the bad location. A great condo in Dupont that is priced well will get offers quickly, but even a spectacular home in Chevy Chase on a busy street will take longer to sell than one on a quiet street.
3. Liveability: This is fast becoming a hot button word in real estate. Buyers today are looking for neighborhoods that deliver amenities such as golf courses, restaurants, and theaters. Good schools, walkable neighborhoods, and easy access to transportation sell homes.
4. Condition: Renovators, flippers, and investors will always be with us, but not in as large numbers as in the past. Homes that are well-maintained or in move-in ready condition appeal to a broader range of buyers. Even simple fixes, such as new paint, cleaned carpets, or power-washed decks, can have an effect.
5. Competitive Advantage: Past area sales, as well as current listings, are your direct competition. You must take these into consideration when settling on a list price for your home. What amenities and upgrades do these homes have? Do the homes in your neighborhood all have updated baths, kitchens, or landscaped yards? In order to price in line with them you must be able to boast these same things. If you want a quick sale, then you need to be slightly under their price.
6. Curb Appeal: Curb appeal determines whether many buyers get out of the car or not. You must keep the yard orderly and maintained when your home is on the market. Seasonal flowers in pots on the front steps and a freshly painted front door are easy fixes!
7. Staging: Once inside your home, a buyer must be wowed. Even though the furniture doesn’t convey, buyers still want to see Crate and Barrel style furnishings, walk into a well lit room, see clean counter tops in the kitchen and fresh towels in the bath.
8. Kitchens: A kitchen sells a house – even to non-cooks! Minor kitchen remodels rank high among the list of top remodeling projects. Most buyers in this market turn up their noses an outdated kitchen. If you only have a limited budget for updates, spend your money in the kitchen! Any marketing should highlight the positives of your kitchen.
9. Agents: An accomplished, knowledgeable agent can be your biggest ally during the selling process. They can advise you on the latest market trends and should prevent you from chasing a falling market!
10. Marketing: Marketing has gone global. With the power of the Internet, you can showcase your home to millions of potential buyers. Sit down with your agent and develop a solid marketing plan.
Thank you for visiting the Lise Howe Team blog. We invite you to explore the finest DC metro neighborhoods through specific blogs – or start your search for DC Metro homes for sale. Of course we’d be more than happy to speak with you more about the homes in Washington DC, Bethesda, Chevy Chase, Potomac, Georgetown, Mc Lean, Great Falls and beyond! Just give us a call. We’re always happy to help you with your home search.
Tags: Bethesda homes for sale, buyer agent, buyers, Chevy Chase, first time home buyer, first time homebuyer, hints to sell a home quickly, luxury home seller, McLean Home Buyer, McLean Luxury Homes, Potomac homes for sale, Potomac Realtor